- Many do pay income taxes ($10.6 billion in 2010)
- Those working for a legitimate employer do pay Social Security and Medicare taxes but are not eligible to collect benefits (about $15 billion a year)
- Are not eligible for any government benefits except schooling for children and emergency medical care
- If an illegal immigrant couple has a child in the U.S. that child is a U.S. citizen and the family may be eligible for some benefits such as WIC and SNAP (food stamps)
- Some illegal immigrants do receive benefits for which they are not eligible by using forged documents
The immigration problem is far more complex than building a wall or granting broad amnesty. If we were smart, we would be seeking ways to turn the desire to immigrate to America to our advantage. Instead we have idiots at both ends of the political spectrum creating misinformation.