Just so you know what one small section of the Department of Health and Human Services does, here is the functional statement for one department. And, remember there are hundreds of similar organizations Over one hundred new organizations (like this one) were created by the PPACA. Depending on where you live this is where you may go with a claim appeal. Isn’t that comforting?
Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight
Steve Larsen – Deputy Administrator and Director
Vacant – Deputy Center Director
• Provides national leadership in setting and enforcing standards for health insurance that promote fair and reasonable practices to ensure affordable, quality health care coverage is available to all Americans.
• Provides consumers with comprehensive information on insurance coverage options currently available so they may make informed choices on the best health insurance for themselves and their families and issues consumer assistance grants to States.
• Implements, monitors compliance with, and enforces the new rules governing the insurance market such as the prohibition on rescissions and on pre-existing condition exclusions for children. Conducts external appeals for States that do not have that authority.
• Implements, monitors compliance with, and enforces the new rules regarding medical loss ratio standards and the insurance premium rate review process, and issues premium rate review grants to States.
• Administers the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan program and associated grant funding to States, the Early Retiree Reinsurance Program, and the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan program.
• Collects, compiles and maintains comparative pricing data for an internet portal providing information on insurance options, and provides assistance to enable consumers to obtain maximum benefit from the new health insurance system.
• Collects, compiles and maintains comparative pricing data for the Department’s web site, provides assistance to enable consumers to understand the new health insurance laws and regulations, and establishes and issues consumer assistance grants to States.
• Develops and implements policies and rules governing State-based Exchanges, establishes and issues Exchange Planning and Establishment to States, oversees the operations of State-based Exchanges, and administers Exchange in States that elect not to establish their own.